Monday, October 15, 2007

Reality Check

Today I received a couple of messages about the Olive Harvest, which started Sunday. The first was an article from a Jerusalem newspaper that gave a pretty good account of the hardships that the Wall puts on the farmers. Not much new information. But the second message was from a member of Rabbis for Human Rights (RHR). He was asking for more volunteers to help with the harvest because the settlers were giving the farmers a harder time than expected. In one village the settlers were throwing rocks and injured a couple of the farmers. The RHR had gotten word that they would be targeted as well. I have said all along that my concerns for myself have little to do with physical safety - this is the first time that felt like a real possibility. I still wouldn't say I am very concerned about it - just "Oh yeah, that could happen."

No comments: