Saturday, October 20, 2007

Religous Vacation?

Preparing for this trip has given me a unique opportunity to engage people in conversation that under normal circumstances probably do not think much about the Israeli / Palestinian conflict unless there is a suicide bombing. But I don't always know if I am saying the right things. I want to convey that I am not a religious tourist , but I don't want to take myself too seriously either. I understand that others view what I am doing through their own beliefs and experiences, I just hope that I can encourage them to widen their perspective a bit.

On the other hand, there are folks that tell me how courageous I am. But I don't think of myself that way - shoot, 131 through Grand Rapids is enough to give me a stress attack. We all have our fears and are strong in different ways. I am in awe of the Michigan Peace Team members that shielded a Palestinian activist with their bodies while Israeli soldiers tried to beat him. I don't know that I could ever claim that kind of courage. But whatever your gift, you should "let your life speak" and I have faith that if I am doing that, I will be taken care of.

No comments: